Unleash iMM’s research excellence in immunity and infection through twinning to infect Lisbon and Portugal with its increase in competitiveness and innovation
The strategy of TwinnToInfect, based on science- and innovation-driven clustering of Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM Lisboa), the Institut Pasteur and the Francis Crick Institute, will allow:
i. strengthening the science and technology capacity of iMM Lisboa in immunity and infection research field
ii. leveraging the research excellence and value creation through innovation with a beneficial impact for the entire iMM Lisboa, the Lisbon region and Portugal
The successful implementation of this strategy will rely on specific actions:
1) cementing of existing and the creation of new scientific, innovative and technical collaborations through short-term staff exchanges and on-site training activities
2) training, mentoring and international exposure of iMM Lisboa’s young researchers and students
3) building an innovation ecosystem centred at iMM Lisboa
4) igniting the entrepreneurial spirit among iMM Lisboa research community
5) increasing science awareness among the general public through targeted dissemination and communication activities
6) developing a strategy to maintain the cohesive and sustainable collaborative network beyond project terminus.
TwinnToInfect scientific strategy is focussed in three main research lines:
- Development of immunity, focused on lymphoid development and homeostasis
- Immunity and infection, with a focus on how the immune system deals with infection
- Infection-driven pathology - focused on deregulated host-pathogen interaction and consequent life-threatening infectious and inflammatory disorders
By claiming its position in research and innovation networks iMM will effectively contribute to research excellence and value creation in health at European level.